View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th February 2011
Port Guard

I tried a fresh install of 8.1, twice, and both attempts failed. I got this error message:

"Unable to find device node for /dev/ad1s1b in /dev!"

I tried two different partitions, and got the same result both times; the instillation crashed and burned. I then tried an install of PC-BSD 8.1, which is based on the 8.1 kernel, and while it seemed to install correctly, my boot manager (GAG 4.10) didn't recognize the BSD instillation. For me, that's a showstopper, because I need to keep Windows XP operational on this box. So, for me, a fresh install of FreeBSD 8.1 isn't a viable option.

Is it possible that my computer simply won't accept the 8.1 kernel? I know that's a crazy theory, but I've been able to install versions of the 7.x series without much trouble.

If it matters, my computer is a Dell Dimension 4550 series. I've searched the web and found no references of someone being unable to install 8.1. This problem may be unique to my machine.

I feel I have two options:

a) Install a version of 7.x and attempt to upgrade to 8.1 by using source. Since a clean install and an upgrade option both failed (I tried the sysinstall upgrade path; it couldn't find the existing install of BSD), building from source appears to be my only remaining option. And even then, if 8.1 doesn't like my system for whatever reason, I'm toasted.

b) Give up. That's right. If 8.1 isn't going to run on my computer no matter what I do, then I see no point in fighting with this any longer. FreeBSD 7.x is going to atrophy pretty soon, and I don't want to be left with an arrested system.

Could it be the UFS+ file system that my computer can't stand? Can 8.1 be "force fed" into the older standard UFS?

So, there's my situation. Has anyone ever heard of instances where 8.1 simply won't install on a given system? If so, I would like to know how those users handled the situation.

Needless to say, I'm very VERY frustrated, and I am ready to throw in the towel. Any input would be greatly appreciated at this point.

Sidebar: I'm confused that PC-BSD 8.1 (Hubble) failed to install; that distribution will shoehorn itself into just about any machine you can name.