Thread: pf.conf help?
View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd January 2018
Shell Scout

No one wants Tor if they are willing to pay $50-$100 per year for a VPN. Everyone already knows that Tor is free and easy to use.

Quote:
PF is very simple to use, but it requires knowledge of the underlying protocols being filtered. Without that knowledge, PF is merely a copy/paste guessing game.
Quote:
I disagree with this assertion. PF rule syntax is easy to learn. But as noted above, properly applying these rules requires a basic understanding the protocols that PF is to manage.
Might be easy for someone who is a sys or network admin, but for the average user it is not. I have read up on it and pass the leak tests on those test websites, but am still not 100% certain that what I did was right and I used to program. For the average user who cannot program, they have no chance. This is why programs with GUI front ends are made for normies. Its because normies can't do these things.

Quote:
'll rephrase what I wrote in my first reply in this thread:

PF can't "hide" an IP address. The Internet Protocol (IP) requires both a sending and receiving address. If the sender uses a false sending address, such as a bad actor might use during a packet injection attack, no reply can be received.

Network Address Translation is marketed by VPN service providers as "hiding" the source of communication, but it cannot truly do so. The source IP and any plaintext ciphered by a service provider is not hidden from litigation, not hidden from criminal investigation, and certainly not hidden from the service provider. The NAT they use to "hide" a customer's address is the same exact NAT used in any at-home NAT router.
If they don't keep logs as they advertise, there is no information to be taken. In some jurisdictions there is nothing that can be done to legally to force them to comply. The better VPNs have activist lawyers that fight cases to try to preserve privacy on the Internet. They donate to related privacy causes as well.

If you do something really bad they aren't going to jail for you, thats for sure and Tor isn't safe in that regard either. The secret services of all major countries have methods for identifying Tor users. They specifically target and infect Firefox and Tor browsers with programs that make tracking their users dead easy.