View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th May 2008
Local

My opinion:

I just had the chance to read through Building a Server with FreeBSD 7 earlier today, and I was pleasantly surprised. In the spirit of its writing style, I'll try to summarize in a terse and effective fashion: Mr. Hong is obviously a competent sysadmin, who took a lot of straight-to-the-point installation notes. He then organized them and formatted them nicely. The results of that exercise were polished, some interesting background history was added in, and finally the whole production was made into a book.

When I began reading the first few pages on the base system installation and configuration, I was thinking "Ah, good book for beginners." But as I progressed into the numerous port installations and configurations I discovered that this book, in reality, will appeal to several levels of users / sysadmins.

I'll stress this again: Mr. Hong is blunt and to the point. The goal of the book is clearly to get you up and running quickly and properly. A new user could follow his instructions - literally - step by step and get a powerful server built. But even an experienced sysadmin should find this book to be a valuable reference for server installations. The information is all in one place, it's easy to find (as it's organized by service/FBSD port), and there's plenty of it.

Thumbs up from me.

Last edited by anomie; 4th May 2008 at 02:22 AM.