Old 5th September 2011
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepuku View Post
Yet i know there is a new version of xxxterm but there was no update;

Code:
$ sudo pkg_info xxxterm
Information for inst:xxxterm-1.226
I see no newer version of xxxterm although there is one on the snapshots page of the mirror i use....
You are reviewing an installed package, not your $PKG_PATH. For the latter, use -Q to determine the proper full package name of the various xxxterm versions in your PKG_PATH, then use one of those names, in full, when querying to obtain more information. See the pkg_info(1) man page.
Quote:
I did *not* ran sysmerge and i don't intend to.
If you installed the shapshot, this is fine. But if you upgraded to the snapshot, this is a requirement. Which did you do?
Quote:
So the right time to get the ports is when you "move" to a -stable then?
I don't know if that was a typo, or if you are more confused than ever. So I will repeat for you here what you seem to have missed.

-Releases are produced twice per year. They are never altered. For serious issues that affect a lot of people, errata in the form of source code patches are produced. Users may elect to apply those patches to -release source and rebuild the effected component. The -release source code is supplied in tar balls, and may also be extracted from CVS repositories via a tag.

-Stable are the same patches as above as well as additional patches that do not warrant publication in errata (minor bugs, or bugs affecting only limited use configurations). This is a source code release managed via a CVS tag.

Patches for -release and -stable will never touch a library or an architectural component (nothing in /etc, /var, or /usr/lib).

-Current is the development environment, and is the HEAD of the CVS repository (untagged). Binary versions are produced as snapshots, from time to time. The supported method for "getting to -current" is to use a snapshot (as an install or an upgrade), then if desired to build -current from source.

It is important to keep the various components -- kernel, userland, X, and ports in sync. This is where the warning in FAQ 15.4.1 comes into play. However, when upgrading (or building newer source), older ports already installed should continue to work, as there is no deletion of older libraries in /usr/lib, and the package system will not permit older library versions in /usr/local/lib to be deleted until all dependency chains are removed.

From your prior posts in this confusing thread, you seem to be completely unaware of binary executable code vs. source code. I would recommend a tour of Google and wikipedia -- but for now, just realize that while binary code is a set of instructions read by computers and executed, source code is human readable, written in a variety of languages. To go from one to the other, a compiler is used.