Thread: modem network.
View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th March 2010
More noise than signal

BSDfan jumped in. The IrDA is an infrared serial connection, not a modem.

Here's what I was typing....

That is a fragment of a dmesg. You may find a more complete dmesg in /var/run/dmesg.boot. A complete dmesg begins with two lines that match what appears when you issue:

$ sysctl kern.version

And the dmesg ends with "root on..." as yours does. Those first two lines tell us the release, flavor, and architecture of your OS. I'm still going to guess i386.

Winmodems are the most common "built-in" modems on Intel-based hardware, by a very large percentage. In my experience, that approaches 100%.

When you look in a dmesg, if you see the phrase "not configured" this is the kernel telling you "I found this device, but I do not have a driver for it, or cannot load a driver I do have for some reason."

In your fragment, I find it three times:
Code:
acpi at bios0 function 0x0 not configured
vendor "Toshiba", unknown product 0x0d01 (class wireless subclass IrDA, rev 0x00) at pci0 dev 9 function 0 not configured
isa at piixpcib0 not configured
Based solely on this incomplete fragment:
  • I will guess that your hardware is using APM; either APM or ACPI may be used, but not both, and the kernel selected APM.
  • There is no IrDA driver for OpenBSD, so that does not concern me.
  • There is a problem configuring your second ISA bus, the one connected to the Intel PIIX4 ISA bridge, which probably houses a Winmodem.