View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th April 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdm View Post
If I remember rightly, they partly blew it with the Surface because the hardware was ridiculous. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, or it was only the deluxe model, but it sounded like a "gamer's laptop" put into a tablet form factor, as in it was extremely heavy and hot, as well as expensive.
  • The original Surface RT (released last November as I recall...) utilized an ARM processor, (from nVidia...) & only applications downloadable from Microsoft's App Store could be used. The specifications state that this model could only be ordered with 32GB or 64GB of secondary store and 2GB RAM, but the price is below its newer brother.
  • The Intel i5-based Surface Pro (which came out in February...) sports with either 64GB or 128GB storage and 4GB RAM. Given that it can run most legacy Windows applications, I have thought that it might be an alternative to replace an older netbook I have used to run needed Windows 7 applications.
Anandtech's review of the Surface Pro pointed out that it was a promising hybrid which may not beat out the best tablets or laptops, but in residing in the space between these two markets, it was worth consideration. The review went on to say that a version 2 may be quite a competitor in either market.