View Single Post
Old 12th May 2008
Administrator

I can only paste you my words from bsdforums.org about Linux, my response to tux08902 statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux08902
To get one thing straight, Linux isn't a mess. It seems like a mess to the BSD folks because of its different development ideology.
Of course LINUX IS A MESS and a BIG ONE, let me tell you why.

1. kernel + kernel config.
every driver for every device has to be selected to be compiled, the are no such things like ADD ATA support to add chipsets that support ATA no way, you have to add evry single driver that you need, and even if you do you have no guarantee that it will wirk, a live example: Intel 945P chipset support, you add ATA support, 945P support, DMA support, Legacy support (just for sure), GENERIC support (wow, not in LEGACY? ok), HDD ATA support (thought that I already selected ATA...), CDROM ATA support (yay another one, gimme more) ... and after recompile and reboot you notice that DMA does not work, why? because you added GENERIC ATA (but wtf, itf just GENERIC support, why it breaks something) well nobody knows that but it does, PURE MESS, and that is just one example and I do not have all day to write all of them here. Kernel documentation, or I should rather say NONE of such thing.

2. sound architecture.
ALSA, a pure mess about sound, messes and fscked up API with some workarouns for mixing, with some workaround to add support for OSS while its still not working right and you have only ONE OSS channel, every experienced user know what that means,, why not add FreeBSD like OSS support with live in kernel sound mixing and do it the RIGHT WAY since 4FRONT opened OSS4 drivers and its fully open source now, even on Linux favorite GPL2 licence.

3. useless dirs /opt /srv /sys
what to fsck are they for? not telling about mandatory mounted /proc because almost nothing will work without it, ok, so we have /proc so what the fsck is /sys for just for fun?
/opt mhmm we already have /usr/local or even every custom dir for every other package management like /usr/pkg or /usr/openpkg or /usr/whatever, but no lets create something new totally uncompatible like /opt it seems fun.

I do not have time to write all these things all day, but there are a lot more things like that in Linux and LINUX IS PURE MESS unfortunely.

I recently saw a Linux distro can can be little painless then all others:

Draco Linux

What is so great about it? Well, its still all that fscking mess and sh!t in the kernel, but it uses pkgsrc.org as package management and OSS for sound, no ALSA or PulseSh!it anymore.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd