View Single Post
Old 29th May 2008
Risen from the ashes

I believe vi on FreeBSD is nvi. It really pisses of my vim-loving co-worker that he can't get vim to work the same on FreeBSD as on Linux, and that he can't figure his way around nvi. I just tell him to use ee.

The thing that *really* pisses me off about Linux, though, is the horrible kludges and hacks they have for network configuration. ifconfig for the phsyical wired interfaces, wiconfig for wireless interfaces, wpa_supplicant if you need WPA, brctl for bridged interfaces, tunctl for tun/tap devices, something else for vlan devices, something else for link aggregation, and so on and so on. It's a friggin' mess, to say the least. And if you do things in the wrong order, it can be a royal pain to untangle. Debian at least tries to hide the mess via ifupdown and /etc/network/interfaces, but even that isn't all roses.

Coming from FreeBSD where ifconfig is used to configure network interfaces, and where /etc/rc.conf handles things for boot, trying to do anything beyond "dhclient eth0" on Linux is enough to make you go grey or bald.

And things get even more fun when you try to use Xen. [URGH!!]

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.