View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd January 2009
Shell Scout

Default BSD hackers game!

Hello, mates!

Here's what I'm intending to do... I'm currently running a website aimed at BSD for the Bulgarian users, where I and other people are translating and writing howtos primarily for BSD.

Anyway writing and reading documentation for people like me and you is a daily task, but I want to make the whole process of learning the BSD systems a little more interesting for the beginners - learning while using the BSD systems - a hackers game!

What I'm thinking of is using a virtual BSD system, where the users use ssh to connect to the system - when a new user registers he receives a login name and a password - for example login name level1 (level2, level3, etc... according to the level they are on) and a password for the correct level.

Each level requires more advanced skills of BSD - for example using the basic tools, pipes, redirecting, using exploits, ssh tunnels, and even at the last levels writing a simple C/C++ code or shell scripts in order to accomplish the task for completing the level. With each level the tasks are getting harder and harder and this way the users will be stimulated to start reading and searching for information on how to get to the next level while learning BSD.

Once upon a time there was such a site - Hackerslab.org - now I think it is down.

Anyway what do you think of the idea, where to start from? I'm looking forward for any suggestions and feedback.

Cheers,
DNAeon

Useful links: FreeBSD Handbook | FreeBSD Developer's Handbook | The Porter's Handbook | PF User's Guide | unix-heaven.org