Thread: All in
View Single Post
Old 23rd November 2012
Port Guard

I've been running FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE-p3 on my desktop and laptop but didn't feel like I was utilizing them both to the full extent and installed OpenBSD 5.2 on my PC last night. I had it installed briefly a few months ago but the difference in the OpenBSD ports system way of doing things put me off and I didn't leave it installed long enough to really get the hang of it before I switched back to FreeBSD.

I feel much more at home with it this time around. I ran into a couple problems along the way (not enough space alloted to /usr for the ports I wanted to compile) but am compiling the last of my programs now and am just about ready to boot into Fluxbox for the first time.

I probably won't be converting my laptop over any time soon, but am pretty happy with the way things have gone so far. I'm comfortable enough with FreeBSD to get things done and am going to stick with it till I get more familiar with the OpenBSD way of doing things, though I might have to ask a question or two along the way.