Thread: Unix Popularity
View Single Post
Old 9th July 2008
Arp Constable

Knowing UnrealEd under Windows, I'm _really_ not surprised that it does that ^_^.

Although I do seem to recall something from xscreensaver, whose author is very X-smart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "xscreensaver FAQ: You crashed my X server! You bas***d!

I'm sorry. But the fact is that an X server crash is, by definition, a bug in the X server.

The rule is that absolutely nothing a client program throws at the X server should make it crash. When an X client does something wrong, the server is supposed to return an error, causing the client to exit. If the server itself goes down, that's a bug in the server. There may also be a bug in the client -- but probably not.

This also goes for DRI, GL, and any vendor- or hardware-specific libraries you might be using. If something in xscreensaver caused your display to freeze, or logged you out, or made your monitor explode, I can pretty much guarantee you that the bug is in your X server or your video driver, and not in xscreensaver.

Try upgrading your X server and video drivers. If that doesn't help, you can try running each display mode in turn until you figure out which one is triggering the X server bug. It is most likely to be one of the GL (3D) screensavers, since those are the ones that actually take advantage of your video hardware. When you figure out which one is causing the crash, you now have a reproducible test case! Congratulations. Please report that to the vendor of your X server and/or your video drivers so that they can fix the problem.

Turning off acceleration in your X server may also make the problem go away, but that will also slow your machine down a lot.

If that still brings you no joy, then I recommend switching to MacOS. I did.

I would guess it still holds true with modern X Servers?

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.

Last edited by TerryP; 9th July 2008 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Typo fixed, thanks DrJ!