View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th August 2009
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
Delphi was a proprietary commercial product. Borland, (who developed & marketed) has since fallen into obscurity. Because of any number of contractual agreements, most likely it will never resurface. Besides, Pascal programming is no longer in vogue.

It is always a good idea to search through the ports collection to answer these types of questions. The following Website makes searching very simple:

http://openports.se/
As I came from a C background, I asked if I could use C++ for the OO aspects, but they insisted on Delphi, despite the fact, as you say, it's pretty dead.

I browsed that site, but since I didn't know the name of any implementation I couldn't perform an effective search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666
OpenBSD does not have any ports related to "Pascal" or "Delphi", but FreeBSD has a "Free Pascal" port, and some additional wrapper ports for common libraries.

Perhaps you can create an OpenBSD port by referencing them.
The problem is, I don't actually like Pascal as a language, so I would find it difficult to go through the porting process for a language I don't like, if you get what I mean.

Also, I have zero idea how FreePascal works. Would I be rewriting ASM kernel interrupts to the appropriate OpenBSD ones, or would I be switching FreeBSD-only C functions for OpenBSD ones? Or would it simply be a case of changing the configuration files for a OpenBSD environment? I write pretty portable code, so I seldom have to port things.. so I am inexperienced in the porting area.