View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th February 2016
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstorm View Post
Can you please tell me what the r and c in front and after wd0 are?
The "r" stands for "raw" -- sometimes also called "uncooked," or more correctly, "unbuffered." The "c" is disklabel partition c, the reserved partition representing the whole drive.
Quote:
What utilities are available in shell for me to find out what my drive ID is (i.e wd0, sd0, hd0, etc...) or will I have found that out during the install disk boot process?
You're asking about at install time, using the RAMDISK kernel bsd.rd. There are limited tools in this small kernel. You can scan the dmesg(8) of course, but the easiest thing to use at the shell prompt is the # sysctl hw.disknames command.
Quote:
Does this mean every partition created during installation will be a softraid partition?
Using that "howto", you will have one MBR partition, created with fdisk(8), and one disklabel partition (not including the reserved "c" partition). There are two types of partitions on OpenBSD systems.
  1. MBR partitions. On the half-dozen or so architectures that use MBRs for booting or multi-OS partioning, drives will have MBRs and a single MBR partition containing all-of-OpenBSD's storage allocation.
  2. Disklabel partitions. On every architecture, disklabels are used to subdivide a disk drive. If the drive has an OpenBSD MBR partition, disklabel partitions are used to subdivide that MBR partition.
The disklabel partition will become a softraid(4) device once you initialize it with bioctl(8). That device will be a virtual SCSI device, of type sd(4), and will be the next available drive number. That virtual softraid device will then be subdivided into multiple disklabel partitions.

Last edited by jggimi; 29th February 2016 at 05:00 AM. Reason: corrected comments for MBR partitioning. Not all MBR archs actually use MBR boot programs