View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th February 2012
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleunix View Post
- small BSD team, so if the team shouldn't commit its own resources on these fat desktop manager, have more time for other things (for example more recent packages on the stable branch)
Porters generally work on what interests them. The people maintaining Gnome on OpenBSD are quite interested in Gnome. If they worked on things they aren’t interested in, I suspect they would become much less productive.

As for maintaining packages on -stable, the main reason this isn’t done is simply because most porters don’t care about -stable. Nearly all porters use -current and having a -stable installation means general lack of access to several updates in both src and ports. Of course, if someone is willing to maintain -stable ports, the project would happily accept their work…
Quote:
- makes few sense use similar desktop manager on an openbsd system
I personally find it baffling, but some people do use it and some people do like it. For example, see this article by ajacoutot@, who does much of the work on Gnome in OpenBSD (and a ton of other work besides).
Quote:
Sure on openbsd now is used gnome2
I think there has been a lot of effort to switch to Gnome 3 in OpenBSD, but I don’t follow it very closely so I could be incorrect.