Thread: ZFS
View Single Post
Old 8th September 2008
Fdisk Soldier

I agree with phoenix here, the ability to have a file system that can scale the way zfs can is very useful even for home use and for the snapshots, I truly love them. Before zfs I used to have an extra disk just for storing the backups on, with zfs I can use that drive in a zpool and I'm not as worried about disk failures are I was before.

At the moment I'm using zfs for our samba server here at work with one zpool that has two mirrors. I would recommend zfs for a file server any day of the week if you have the memory and a 64bit cpu to build one. I'm planning on building a similar system for my home server as well.

I'm not sure how I feel about using zfs on a desktop, mostly because all my file are always stored on a server somewhere, mainly because I keep using smaller disks for them and my larger disks always end up in a server. As for a gui, that's a very cool idea for something to be added to pcbsd or desktopbsd and maybe even for freenas. I'm sure that once there is a nice gui for zfs on desktops, zfs will be the way to go.