View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th October 2010
Arp Constable

One beauty of open source, if you don't support it on platfomr Z but it rocks, perhaps some nerd will take a stab at fixing your bungles. A lot of people still seem live in a "Well, it works on MY workstation!" world rather than a "Holy crap, this thing is as portable as the C standard!", no body knows which extreme is worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
This guy wants to be compensated for the work, which is perfectly understandable, and making available commercial/proprietary software in the ports trees has never been a problem for any of the BSD projects, I believe Richard Stallman has even trolled on OpenBSD's mailing lists about this before.
Chromium is not proprietary software, Chrome is.

Personally I have no problem with the guy for wanting to be compensated for his efforts. It ain't a quick 'make' and pray operation. If the same person is doing the subscriber thing and maintaining the port on FreeBSD however, *that* I would call an alarming conflict of interest. In my eyes if you can't solidly maintain a port, you shouldn't be submitting it to the main ports tree. By solidly maintain, I mean stick with it and push out the work promptly.

The way the subscribing thing is working and the way FreeBSD ports works (hell, just look at broken and forbidden incidents), I don't really think it matters though. The port is of what he's 'released' to the general public in a manor fit for inclusion as it is.

Life sucks, what else is new?

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.