View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th March 2011
Arp Constable

I'm continuing to look at this issue sporadically and will restate the problem. It appears that that a number of Via southbridge chipsets (VT8237, VT8237A, VT8237S) only support one SATA drive in OpenBSD - they are supported in NetBSD, FreeBSD and Linux. The error reports indicate the problem mostly on the bsd.rd kernel with two sata hard drives and in my case and sata hd along with an sata dvdrw drive. I have tried booting the straight /bsd kernel and in my case the boot hangs very early with the line
Quote:
apati_scsi_intr: warning reading only 0 of 18 bytes
It is a very difficult bug to report as the hang occurs early enough that sendbug, or mounting a usb thumb drive are not possible. One of the reports I found did have the dmesg from a serial cable to another machine but the bug report was just ignored with no responses. (Actually none of the reports on this issue had a response and the one good report that went to the trouble to get a dmesg was also ignored from any developer)

It appears that the bug occurred between 4.4 -> 4.5. One odd thing I noticed was that the GnoBSD i386 CD in livemode does not hang and does recognize the drive while jiggami's fluxbox CD hangs. The FAQ says the softraid mode of the chipsets is not supported but none of the bug reports were using raid, they just wanted a second sata drive.

The ethos is to trust the man pages and the FAQ prior to anything else but both of these essentially state the chipset is supported except in RAID mode. My bug report appears to languishing along with the others.
http://old.nabble.com/Second-SATA-ch...d31094000.html

Not sure how much more effort to put into this - people buying these mobo's thinking they will get a supported chip are going to be unhappy.