Thread: Pkgsrc Idea
View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th August 2014
Shell Scout

Default Pkgsrc Idea

Pkgsrc is usable on multiple operating systems. If something compiles on Linux it may not compile on NetBSD. If you want to make your own package of un-ported software, you can submit the port to WIP.

Using the standard pkgsrc I have compiled LMMS on NetBSD, which by default fails. I did this by disabling the building of the calf plugin, via a cmake config patch (adhering to the pkgsrc procedures). In the newer version of LMMS this may not be a problem since the developers of LMMS have made some corrections to LMMS' inculsion of the calf plugin.

You can submit your patch via a web-interface on the Pkgrsc website.

I was just thinking that whenever a port is added to pkgsrc, it starts by being compiled on a certain system. It could be initially recorded which system this was originally successfully compiled on, along with which files and patches (including original signatures). Then when a user of pkgsrc successfully compiles the same package on a system different then the original, pkgsrc could check to see if any new patches or files where used in contrast to the those used of the initial system compilation. If nothing was done different then, then nothing else would happen. If however there was a new patch or file used, then a prompt could ask the user if they would like to submit this data for evaluation. If they select to do so, then the patch(s) (also including original patches where the signature has changed) and name of any files used could be sent to an online archive along with a note and email address from the submitter (if one was provided after a prompt). This online archive could be viewed by both users and developers of pkgsrc. This could also be implemented by the WIP community.

What do you think?

They could call it "Infinity Submission" <- a play on my username.

Last edited by fn8t; 30th August 2014 at 12:10 AM.