View Single Post
Old 13th May 2008
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by windependence View Post
Recently, I have switched all my installations to virtualized servers ...

... and if anyone has any ideas as to a better environment than what I am using (Linux host, VMware, and BSD guest) please suggest it here in this thread. ...
I've been setting up FreeBSD host with bare minimum installation, and then using the ezjail framework (slightly customized to suit my criteria) to build "virtual machines." Granted, this isn't very sexy, and introduces the rather large draw-back of not being able to limit resources of each VM, but it works for me.

I've heard there is a mechanism for limiting resource usage via jails (in fact it's at http://wiki.freebsd.org/JailResourceLimits ), though I haven't looked into it very much.

It's a shame that we don't have a whole lot more available. NetBSD supports XEN, so you could use NetBSD host and go from there. XEN support is supposed to be coming soon to FreeBSD.

As I'm working towards my SCSA for Solaris 10, I'm looking more at Solaris Zones (though I don't have Solaris running on any of my servers here at home... hmm... if only I can convince the wife to let me buy a new box).