View Single Post
Old 23rd November 2014
Port Guard

I'm going to divert back to stallman for my 2 cents.

Is he crazy? Absolutely, but he's the good kind of crazy.

1. Old code was an oddity, peak of research type stuff. Like higher maths, it was shared freely among fellows, yet retained a certain pecuniary value primarily through obscurity.

2. Proprietary closed software licensing lends itself rather well to obfuscating real computer knowledge and maximizes profits. Limiting competition to those in the "know", a la Bill Gates/Oracle.

3. One day, after living in item 1, world Stallman was confronted rather rudely with item number 2. A thousand odd geniuses before him had gathered round to work on this new marvel of calculation for near a hundred years sharing source code and algorithm freely as it advanced the state of the art and one day in an attempt to print something Stallman found his work held hostage by some narrow minded, shallow, myopic, obstructionist, chisling, money grubber.

The rest of his days have been spent in a haze of nerd rage and idealism.

I love him. I like the BSDs more in culture and substance, but he did a lot to make the ecosystem what it is. GCC, Emacs, etc are better than Linux imho.

The problem with systemd as I understand it is that the "year of linux on the desktop" folks, really, really, really, really want that thing, like bad, like the only thing they want for Christmas kinda bad and they don't really care about esoteric *nix hackers that like to run things the old fashioned way.

Enlightenment is the heavyweight contender in bsd licensed window managers.
here's their systemd page:

https://phab.enlightenment.org/w/e18..._user_session/

http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/socket-activation.html

Personally, I don't much get the obsession with boot times. The face of power management has changed a bit. I put my laptop to sleep and it wakes up rather quickly and un-bothered.

Uptime is 3 days 13 hours. I can't see how even cutting boot time in half would matter.