Port Guard

"It is due to the insular view taken adopted by its developers."

Of all things cravuhaw2c has said here, I think an "insular view taken by
developers", is somewhat fair.

Defined:

Code:
in·su·lar
adjective \ˈin(t)-su̇-lər, -syu̇-, ˈin-shə-lər\

: separated from other people or cultures : not knowing or interested in new or different ideas
Full Definition of INSULAR
a :  of, relating to, or constituting an island
b :  dwelling or situated on an island <insular residents>
:  characteristic of an isolated people; especially :  being, having, or reflecting a narrow provincial viewpoint
I don't think this view is exactly wrong, an island OpenBSD might be with many great exports. So, many developers wouldn't see themselves as, say, hermetic, like a hermit kingdom for instance.

OpenBSD, does however require active literacy at a level I recently thought to be more common. Consider this search for "42% of college graduates never read another book after college"

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=42%25+of+c...+after+college

Read the faqs, read the man pages, read the lists, buy the book (if able), use a text based installer - these things are unfortunately, beyond the comfort level of many people and that is not a criticism of OpenBSD.

I went to the mail list with a problem and I had the lucky distinction of being flamed by one fellow and subsequently defended by Theo himself and it was, if anything, at best, a nuanced fault in a man page.

There were however three things I didn't do:

1. Blame the software and community.
2. Fail to make a reasonable effort.
3. Presume to know something I didn't or make assertions for the community.

Personally, I wonder if a dual boot Faq, simply exceeds it's scope. Archlinux, is a tinkerer's distro, linux from scratch (should do well), slackware, and what else don't provide much for the typical "Redhat, fedora, ubuntu, debian" dual boot crowd. I assume dual booting the BSDs are rather straight forward as well. The point being that a faq would cater to a niche user of OpenBSD.

just my $.02, but I think cravuhaw2c isn't guilty of the first two and those bug reports are worth posting.

Last edited by vanGrimoire; 13th December 2014 at 05:33 AM. Reason: code tags, broken