View Single Post
Old 8th April 2013
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by barti View Post
... I asked people, why don't you use openbsd ?
I'll repeat: security is not something you install. It's something you do. It must be 1) integral to your architectural design, 2) tested and confirmed, 3) modified to meet new threats as they are observed and understood.
Quote:
It seems that There is no big reason to use openbsd if you are a good linux sysadmin.
My number one reason I choose OpenBSD when possible to do so is for simplicity. Simplicity of administration, simplicity of use, simplicity of design, simplicity of internal architecture.

My number two reason for choosing the OS is security. Security by default, security of design, and built-in technologies that aid security, some of which I mentioned earlier in this thread. I won't deploy any other OS directly on the Internet.

I use other OSes when required. That requirement will be driven by the application or by the hardware.
Quote:
Linux performs much better then openbsd.
Then use it.

Just be aware that the OS you choose is just one factor of many when you consider any application's "security".

What I tried to tell you by my posts in this thread is that you need to consider all aspects of security of your application, not just your choice of OS. Think of your home... If you leave a window open, using a better lock on the front door isn't going to help very much. I try to ensure all the windows are closed and locked, as well as the door. OpenBSD comes with all windows closed and all doors locked, so I only need to make sure the new windows and doors I install are appropriately sealed.

Last edited by jggimi; 8th April 2013 at 07:34 PM. Reason: clarity