View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th July 2008
ISO Quartermaster

One little addition to my earlier post, albeit a bit off topic. For those who do use Linux, please don't join a Linux forum, then make your first or second post a rant about how BSD is much better than Linux. It's fine to say you're used to BSD, and say, "I prefer it because...". Unfortunately, I saw this a few times on Fedora forums. Someone would ask a BSD question, I'd preface my answer saying that I should first state that *I* prefer BSD and then give my reasons.

However, once or twice, some fellow, no doubt frustrated like Corey James (and myself before I followed my own advice above) would more or less say what I had said, but had to add how horrible Linux was and either implicitly or explicitly say that only lamers used Linux. They'd then be called a troll. Often the response was, "Oh, typical Linux, someone points out the superiority of BSD and is called a troll."

(This also indicated to me that they hadn't followed the thread, as I'd usually said exactly what they'd said, leaving out the part that Linux users were losers.)

I should probably add that having come in contact with many very knowledgeable Linux folks, I certanly don't consider them losers.

Whereas, I'd often get responses to my posts like, thanks, I think I will try BSD, these posts saying how Linux is for newbies went a long way towards making others dislike the BSDs on principle. Insult someone and you've made a giant step towards closing their mind.