View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th February 2011
New User

Default ssh server on OpenBSD

Hello all,

first post for me in this forum !

I want to setup a file server mainly for private use at home - later I might add functionality for some friends.

my prior concern is to be able to ssh in this machine so I can up/down-load files and even change things - later I might add ftp, mail and other services

I am totally newbie to the unix world in general - I have some console and even programming experience from linux and macos machines though - so I read a lot of tutorials online, asked friends and did these:

- set up a dyndns acount and my router so that it updates my ip (I tested this and it works, everytime I reboot the server and ping my alias I get my new public ip)

- forwarded port 22 in my router. not sure if it' s as supposed, but when I nmap my public ip I can see it open.

- I messed around a bit with /etc/ssh/sshd_config file and tried some several other things I found online / I tried different configurations

now

on all configurations I tried,
ssh localhost
connects me and all is ok

but
ssh myalias.dyndns.org
asks for passwd and whatever I enter it says "not permited" or sth similar

worthnoticing is that on
/usr/sbin/sshd
I get a message that the files that hold the keys for the hosts (ssh_hosts_dsa_..sth like this) could not be opened - even when my configuration was for passwd only security

anyway,

anybody could help me with a step by step guide for begginers or just a couple of advices of how to setup ssh in an OpenBSD machine ??

thx