View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th December 2011
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamrent View Post
Secure in a manner that if the event of my adding additional users ever arises, that the users will not be able to interact with each others' files, nor gain access or information to the rest of the system beyond the web interface that they use to manage their website/files.
I can't guide you to any specific "web based" file management service. Whatever you end up choosing, if the solutions uses standard "files" then you will be using OpenBSD's FFS filesystem and its file access controls. If you are unfamiliar with how BSD's owner/group/world read/write/execute access controls operate, you will need to learn how this functions, because you will be responsible for setting up access controls.
Quote:
SSH would not necessarily be necessary, since I only want this for the user to manage static content pages of their website in an easy to use web interface. Basically solely for adding/deleting .html or .php pages (generally speaking).
You may find sftp(1), a component of OpenSSH, meets that need. It can be used for secure upload of files.
Quote:
Actually, I'm not sure if SSH is required for something like an installation of a vBulletin or phpBB forum. The way I usually do it is via CLI, so I'm not sure how that'd be done otherwise, or if it's possible.
These and similar web applications are data driven from back end databases, with little in the way of "files" other than for configuration.