View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th April 2009
VPN Cryptographer

Yes: One thing that dev* needs is a good man page. That said, the handbook has a good chapter on it. Anything I could say would be a poor imitation of that.
Edit: AArgh! Sorry, it doesn't! Then I hope there is a how-to here.
Nope, there isn't. The best I can do you is this quote from the handbook page on usb disks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by handbook
First, the devices that are created when a USB storage device is connected need to be accessible by the user. A solution is to make all users of these devices a member of the operator group. This is done with pw(8). Second, when the devices are created, the operator group should be able to read and write them. This is accomplished by adding these lines to /etc/devfs.rules:

[localrules=5]
add path 'da*' mode 0660 group operator

Note: If there already are SCSI disks in the system, it must be done a bit different. E.g., if the system already contains disks da0 through da2 attached to the system, change the second line as follows:

add path 'da[3-9]*' mode 0660 group operator

This will exclude the already existing disks from belonging to the operator group.

You also have to enable your devfs.rules(5) ruleset in your /etc/rc.conf file:

devfs_system_ruleset="localrules"
You will need to alter the 'path' string to match, and add additional lines for pass* etc. Note that you can have as many items in a ruleset as you like, and, if you already have a ruleset set there for something else, all you need to do is enter you new entries at the end of the others.

You can enter rules at run-time with the devfs(1) program. "/etc/rc.d/devfs reload" /should/ do it, but I am not sure if it does.

Last edited by robbak; 26th April 2009 at 12:00 PM.