View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th August 2011
Local Area Nitwit

Default thanks folks, progress report:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket357 View Post
...As for the second NIC, is it actually being recognized? You mention a single line from dmesg, but since you already have a NIC in the machine, is there a second dmesg line that matches the SMC 1244TX? ...
Thanks all for fixing my hijaking and for offering good info.

I kept plugging away after I left this post. Here's where I got:

I piped dmesg to a file and really looked through it. I had been just using |more to page through. I found that yes, the card was being recognized!

Code:
dc0 at pci1 dev 11 function 0 "ADMtek AN983" rev 0x11: apic 2 int 23 (irq 9), address 00:50:bf:9f:0a:80
dc0: MII without any PHY!
rl0 at pci1 dev 13 function 0 "Realtek 8139" rev 0x10: apic 2 int 17 (irq 10), address 00:0c:6e:0f:ab:51
rlphy0 at rl0 phy 0: RTL internal PHY
Since I had removed the card nic and looked, I am confident that the Realtek 8139 (rl) is the one that is on my motherboard. And I was able to configure it so that it works (pings nearby hosts, ftp connection to hosts out on the 'net, etc). So I wrote a hostname.dc0, assigning it a different IP address. And then I called netstart ('sh /etc/netstart'). And...

my system hung. It hung badly enough that I had to cycle power. I had to boot from the install cd and mount the hard disc filesystem and then rename hostname.dc0 before it would boot. It would boot, but would hang as soon as the "starting network" came up. I just now tried again after I found the man pages for rl and for dc and made some changes. Any ideas GREATLY appreciated.

TP in CO