View Single Post
Old 15th August 2011
Local Area Nitwit

Default Monday morning tactics

Hey there. This morning first thing I went into CMOS setup and disabled the onboad NIC. Then I put in my SMT 1244TX PCI card (dc0) and started openBSD. The dc0 device appeared to be recognized properly; no 'MII without any PHY!' message, but at the very end of dmesg was 'watchdog timeout'. No connectivity either. After a little searching around I found one tip that moving the card to a different slot might help that problem.

I thought that sounded a little crazy, and I only saw one reference to that, but it seemed like an easy thing to try.

Putting that card in a different slot did change things. Once again I got the 'MII without any PHY!' message, but no 'watchdog timeout'. Also no connectivity.

I found another nic in another old PC in our boneyard. It's a DLink. That card hasn't got an effective modular connector retainer (when you plug in the 10-baseT connector it won't go 'click' and the cable can just be pulled out/fall out). This makes me less enthusiastic about using it as part of our enterprise firewall, but...

It works. I tried it with the onboard nic still disabled and it came up fine and I have connectivity with it. So then I re-enabled the onboard nic. Once I did that the onboard nic had connectivity but not the DLink. I'm wondering if that could be simply because I have some of the other net config stuff wrong. Or whether it is because those two devices are conflicting with each other.

New info... any ideas from you knowledgable folks out there would be appreciated as always!

Tom in CO, USA