View Single Post
Old 15th August 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomp View Post
Hey there. This morning first thing I went into CMOS setup and disabled the onboad NIC. Then I put in my SMT 1244TX PCI card (dc0) and started openBSD. The dc0 device appeared to be recognized properly; no 'MII without any PHY!' message, but at the very end of dmesg was 'watchdog timeout'. No connectivity either.
"watchdog timeout" messages are not uncommon for some drivers. While the onboard NIC is still disabled, configure /etc/hostname.dc0, reboot, attempt to ping some arbitrary host, & post the output of ifconfig(8) while in this configuration. Someone might see something in this output.
Quote:
After a little searching around I found one tip that moving the card to a different slot might help that problem.
Correct. The card may have not been seated well, or may have poor connections. It may be worth putting a few drops of rubbing alcohol on a kleenex, & cleaning the card's PCI contacts to possibly get rid of oxidation.
Quote:
I'm wondering if that could be simply because I have some of the other net config stuff wrong. Or whether it is because those two devices are conflicting with each other.
  • You may need to try a different card, preferably something which isn't a 10Base-10 card.
  • I would also suggest looking at the possibility of using two cards, & not using the onboard NIC at all.