View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th August 2013
Port Guard

Default GStreamer will not detect sound device (or possible permissions problem) in OpenBSD

I'm a new member and new to OpenBSD on the desktop, so I apologize if I'm overlooking a prior thread after searching or just doing something incredibly stupid. Anyway, I posted this issue on a couple of other boards before finding this one (I've mostly been a FreeBSD desktop user, and just always went to their forums, I just want to be careful about not starting a BSD flame war here by getting into that or why I'm trying OpenBSD out for my desktop after using it on servers). So I'll copy and paste my issue here, and hopefully someone can help, thanks in advance.

Let me say before I post this that I have read the OpenBSD handbook end to end, and just about every thread I could find about this issue (which others have had, but just gave up on) in relationship to XFCE4 and OpenBSD 5.3 I realize how much work the developers put into that handbook, so I wanted to exhaust every option first.

Anyway, I've used OpenBSD on servers for years but another BSD for my desktop, by and large. I recently decided to jump ship, and was really impressed by XFCE4 on OpenBSD, and have everything set up with all off the applications that I need to make this my permanent desktop OS, except I cannot get any sound in XFCE. I have all of the gstreamer plugins (and gstreamer of course) installed, added myself to the wheel group, created an audio group and added myself to it. I followed the trouble shooting steps in the handbook, here are my outputs:
Code:
cat > /dev/audio < /dev/zero &
 [1] 12387

audioctl play.{seek,samples,errors}
 play.seek=48000
 play.samples=10339200
 play.errors=0

audioctl play.{seek,samples,errors}
 play.seek=48000
 play.samples=18172800
 play.errors=0
So the sound data itself is flowing, and it's an Intel HD Audio integrated card which others have reported working with OpenBSD (and works out of the box on FreeBSD).

When I try to run the XFCE4-mixer, I get: GStreamer was unable to detect any sound devices. Some sound system specific GStreamer packages may be missing. It may also be a permissions problem.

Running dmesg returns:
Code:
dmesg | grep audio
 audio0 at azalia0
 audio0 at azalia0
 audio0 at azalia0
 audio0 at azalia0
 audio0 at azalia0
 audio0 at azalia0
 audio0 at azalia0
 audio0 at azalia0
 audio0 at azalia0
So the card is recognized (using azalia), data is flowing, I'm sure it should be able work if I can figure out whether this is a gstreamer or permissions issue. I apologize if it's something really simple. I'm really liking it too much to give up on it just because of a sound issue probably caused by stupidity on my part.

Also, I went ahead and installed the KDE 3.5 desktop just to see if this was an XFCE specific problem. When I manually start the KDE Soundserver, I get The application Soundserver (artsd) crashed and caused the signal 11 (SIGSEV). I double checked, libsndfile is installed and the libsndio module is loaded, the libsndio module appears to be causing the KDE Soundserver to crash.

Thanks for any help, of course.

Last edited by J65nko; 13th August 2013 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Added [code] and [/code] tags ;)