View Single Post
Old 5th November 2008
Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdh View Post
It's interesting that your sig mentions VIA C7. What purpose are you looking for this for? VIA's chips/boards are great for some tasks - but not for a general-purpose server or workstation.

The advantages are low power consumption, tiny footprint, and PadLock instruction set. The disadvantage is that it's slow, slow, slow.
Unless low power, a small footprint, and quick AES crypto (my 800mhz C3 computes AES128 and AES256 faster than my Athlon X2 5200+ thanks to the PadLock instruction set) and random number generation (in my experience, and I've run a few tests, the randomness is of a very good quality, and is cryptographically secure) are very important to you, you won't want C3 or C7. If those three things are very important to you, you'll be very happy with a C7 based system.
That is another system I am building at the moment as VIA is interesting from a single cpu/typewriter perspective, although when I lost AMI yesterday I had to change the board to the award version (there isn't a phoenix version available), I think it is the SN18000 C7 rather than the SN1000 which could work in conjunction with an SM/phoenix mainboard system although I have to think it through... then i need to get the systems off the ground before writing RND functions, dunno if I'd trust built in rnd or encryption algos???

How long have you had the biostar (bios + star?) systems running and are they reliable?

oh noes, my intel cpus have come down with a flu, looks in bad shape, its barely hanging in there, I might have to stick with C7 for now.

Last edited by FHW; 5th November 2008 at 01:46 PM.