View Single Post
Old 29th December 2009
not quite new user

Got an update, and a few more questions.

Update first:
After I got the replacement disk, I first ran the MHDD tools to see what a good hard drive should look like. Here's what the SMART test looked like on December 4:

I got busy reinstalling everything, and soon had a system that wasn't locking up.

This morning I got up and was doing my usual morning net things when a phone call came in. I returned to a black screen, with no response to mouse, keyboard, CTRL-ALT-F1, or anything other than the power button. Of course, the first thing I thought of was to find out what the SMART data said:

In not quite a month, it has acquired 998 reallocated sectors! with an enormous increase in read errors and seek errors.

Around noon today, I bought a replacement disk, this time, a Western Digital Caviar 1tb, and followed this procedure to move the installed OS and programs to the new disk: http://www.bsdguides.org/guides/free..._harddrive.php , which I was relieved to be able to complete without the disk freezing, and I was overjoyed to be able boot onto the new drive after I finished.

The Seagate 1tb will go back to the store tomorrow, so before I started the Seagate test program, I ran the MHDD program again for the SMART test, out of curiousity. It had 1026 reallocated sectors. That is 28 new ones just over the course of today!

I am currently running Seagate's SeaTools long test, but the short test showed the drive as passing. Needless to say, I don't have much faith in Seagate at this point, but at least I'll be able (thanks to this forum) to tell the guy at the store what to look at instead.

Now my new questions are these:
One of my transferred files ended up being copied as a 0 byte file, when it had been about 21k, and fortunately, I had a copy elsewhere, but it occurs to me that other files may be missing pieces too, due to the errors on the drive they were dumped from.

Is there something I can do now that will recompile everything with a few steps, replacing any missing pieces, or will that be a slow and individual process?

I have not done the security updates that came out on Dec 3 yet, and one of them requires rebuilding world. Will this cover recompiling and making complete the missing pieces, mentioned above, for the base system, leaving only the ports to be fixed?

Is there anything else I should be concerned about doing in order to deal with any issues from having copied the files using dump/restore from the bad HD to the new one?