View Single Post
Old 20th August 2014
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire_ak View Post
See: Comment from Mr. Raadt ... OpenBSD is in very REAL trouble as of 2014. Hopefully, some company or person has stepped up to provide the much-needed funds.
I like how you're presuming to tell me things. It's cute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire_ak View Post
As for the OP, he asked a legitimate question: why no GUI install? Heck, I would go further, why no curses-based install, at the least? Is there a security reason or just a preference by the developers?
OK. Let's say you have to install OpenBSD hundreds of times a year, on a wide variety of system architectures (yes, I do exactly this. If you need to ask "well why would you do that?" consider clicking on the link in my sig instead of wasting time pondering it): would you rather have a GUI that is likely unmaintainable across all the architectures (especially since there are many machines that, you know, don't have VGA. the world isn't all a PC these days... never was, really) or a curses based installer that is ugly over serial (and again, more complex than a simple shell). Or would you rather have a streamlined shell that does everything you need, doesn't get in your way, and can almost literally be installed by holding down the Enter key?

If you're looking for complexity and nonsense, OpenBSD isn't the project for you. Really. And that's OK. OpenBSD isn't the project for a lot of people. But now your extrapolations have gotten beyond the realm of silly.

If a shell installer is something that's so major you wouldn't want to install OpenBSD, then don't install OpenBSD.

Or you can stop complaining and do something about it. Worked well for me.

But really, the GUI installer is something that's been asked time and time again. It's not gonna change. It's tiring to see people argue for something they haven't even attempted to understand.