View Single Post
Old 8th September 2008
Arp Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
Windows uses 72 dpi and this can be changed. I can't remember anything about the Mac, and I used to be reasonably well versed.
My XP install defaulted to 96 dpi with a 8pt window text / 10pt title bar text; I remember well because I had tried setting it to the only other available preset (120dpi) before going to custom.

I might be an odd ball or is just a fact that whenever I create a web page, it's usually meant for reading not getting paid for... But I almost never screw with font sizes to begin with lol. Usuaully when I do change the font-size, it's with a keyword size (e.g. small, larger, etc) or with ems. Sometimes I'll inline a <h?> if know exactly what I want for a short passage of text, but I tend to avoid it. Since I believe that the web browsers default setting _should_ be set to something legible to a user, and if there is any reason to use a different size it ought to be realitive to that, and not my own opinions of legibility.

I do hope, that Google Chrome gains the ability to force minimal font sizes, a suitable way of creating extensions by the time they make a complete release. Because the former is invaluable IMHO for controlling the view and constantly ctl++'ing is a pain, while the former is somewhat a fun part to learn ;-)

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.