View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th May 2008
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by J65nko View Post
From the rc.conf stuff you posted, I saw you use clamav virusscanning. This really can be a resource hog. You could check if you are not somehow running out of resources like file descriptors, memory space etc.

Another point is the /etc/rc.d/sendmail status output complaining that "sendmail_clientmqueue" is not running.

Did you take the necessary steps to "compile' the sendmail mc file into the sendmail.cf format? And make sendmail re-read this file?

I am not really a sendmail expert. If the above suggestions don't work you may be better off to ask on a sendmail mailing list
I agree with ClamAV being a resource hog, but it's the only antiviral solution I have tried in conjunction with Sendmail. Based on this experience, I am considering ditching Sendmail altogether. Regarding the compilation and update of Sendmail to use the new configuration files, I've run all appropriate commands. I wrote a simple 'MailRestart.sh' to restart the mail server and associated daemons (SpamAssassin and ClamAV), which recompiles the Sendmail configuration and ensures it is reread.

I'll post my problem on a Sendmail board, but I am greatful of your help. Thanks for your replies and sharing your knowledge of tcpdump. I owe you an e-Beer or webhosting (visit the URL in my signature), get in touch if you need either.

Nathan Pardoe
TickleStix
www.ticklestix.co.uk