View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th July 2011
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by albator View Post
There was an update for eggdbus, isn't it enough for evolution to be rebuild ?
No, you must manually build if you want to bring it up to date. There is no forced update, because the Makefile doesn't require it. Look in /usr/ports/database/evolution-data-server/Makefile. You will find devel/eggdbus is one of 7 LIB_DEPENDS, and it does not have a minimum version or patchh level -- only one library has a minimum version requirement.

As I said before, If you want to force the building of a port, you are likely to find "make package" more effective than "make update" -- there is nothing in your dependency chain nor in this unchanged Makefile that will force a rebuild.
Quote:
I don't understand why packages got installed and not only created in in/usr/ports/packages/amd64/all
Build dependencies are required to be installed and operational in order to build the port in question.
Quote:
And I got CUPS, Samba and a lot of packages I didn't want to install :'(
Yes, because the dependency chains can be quite long, and build dependencies are usually much larger than run dependencies. You are building, you are no longer installing pre-built packages built by someone else.

To understand what gets installed in order to build, use "make print-build-depends" and compare that to "make print-run-depends". I had attempted to copy/paste some console output, but it's not working for me from this particular browser. But you will see for yourself when you run make with those targets.

Last edited by jggimi; 13th July 2011 at 02:33 PM.