View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th July 2016
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureo View Post
Should I delete all of them?
You certainly can. These port directories are several of the 69 build dependencies of jdk 1.8. That's the number. 69 different packages must be installed, and that can mean built and installed, before you can start to build jdk and jre 1.8.
Quote:
Is “locks” an untouchable directory?
No, you may delete it. It is used to prevent multiple builds of the same package when conducting concurrent bulk builds.
Quote:
Should I delete “/jre-1.7.0/bin/java” and “/jre-1.8.0/bin/java”?
No. As I'd noted in my first reply above, you have already installed jre, and these files are part of the installed packages.
Quote:
When I tried to execute “java -jar i2pinstall_0.9.26.jar” or “java -jar i2pinstall_0.9.26.jar -console” to install I2P, it didn't work. It says: "ksh: java: not found".
I'll repeat what I said above about $PATH, and try to add clarity.

When you issue the shell command:

$ echo $PATH

a string will appear, which is the contents of your $PATH environment variable.

That string contains a list, in order, of the directories the shell will search for executable files if you type the name of a program without a complete path. For example, if you type the ls(1) command:

$ ls

your shell will use your $PATH variable, and it will find the ls(1) program in the /bin directory.

You could also type the command this way, with the directory named, and if you do so the $PATH variable will not be used:

$ /bin/ls

If you want to run the java program from jre 1.8, here are two ways:

$ /usr/local/jre-1.8.0/bin/java ...

If you add /usr/local/jre-1.8.0/bin to your $PATH variable, you could then use:

$ java ...

See your .profile file in your user's home directory, where $PATH variables are commonly set.
Quote:
How do I move the "ports/compiling" place to another directory outside of /usr/.
Most users who build ports find that they need to add a new partition from unallocated disk space for /usr/ports, or for the working object directory, /usr/ports/pobj. To do so requires you have unallocated space, and this is is beyond the scope of a thread focused on getting your shell to search for and find the java executables you already have installed.

Quote:
Would it work if I just move /usr/ports/ to /home (for example)? Like: /home/ports
It is possible but it is not recommended by the Project, and I would not recommend it either. The ports tree toolchain would require environment variable changes, and right now you are having difficulty with a single variable for a user. $PATH.