View Single Post
Old 18th July 2016
Sam98

Smile Thank you guys!

Hey e1-531g! Thank you! Your instructions are really good, not only for me, also for other users!

Thanks for your time, I do really appreciate that.

I would like to make some clarifications because some bad understandings:

Quote:
I don't know if OpenBSD is so a secure system for someone new to Unix-like systems and configuring daemons and need to do something fast and needs various programs not found in base OpenBSD system.
1) I am not new in “Unix-like” systems. I am new in OpenBSD.

Someone new in “Unix-like" systems won't see that there are huge differences on packages administrations, compilators, and functional configurations between GNU and BSD, and also between BSD project's systems, and GNU system versions. Ubuntu is not Arch, OpenBSD is not DragonflyBSD, Debian is not Gentoo, and so on.

2) That a program could not be on “base OpenBSD system” is not a sing to think that is less secure to install and use it. There is a lot of considerations that can be made. Could it be less secure?: yes. Could it be really secure?: also, yes.

Quote:
security is a process
I am agree with you. There is not a “perfect” system, there are all made by humans, there is always work to do. But OpenBSD steal be a really good option. The propose of OpenBSD is offer to community a secure system (“secure by default” - “Only two remote holes in the default install, in a heck of a long time!”).

Quote:
For professionals or people just wanting to be power users OpenBSD is really good, but if somebody is new and don't have time to learn and maintain I would go for binary Gnu/Linux distro like Debian stable, because it is less time consuming to maintain. Note that even in Debian you need to learn a few things, not type something blind on keyboard or blindly copy-paste from unofficial Internet source and maintain system and do backups etc.
1) I used GNU systems by years (I do know Debian, I have installed it). They are really different from BSD systems.

2) Don't worry, I have time. The problem is that everything is in english, there is not an official forum (always better than a mailing list, and that is why I am here), documentation is not the best (it is not always made to "everyone", is more "elitist"). Some one here can be in disagreement: well, try to don't be a english first language speaker first, and try to guess the lot of presuppositions about the users competences in some sections of man-pages and FAQ (don't worry, I steal liking OpenBSD, is a really interesting and nice project/system).

Quote:
Note that for people using Tor there is a Tails operating system (Gnu/Linux distro), but it is designed to be run as LiveCD, so it is not so good for all use cases.
Totally agree with you: “it is not so good for all use cases”.

Quote:
Anyway I was able to execute I2P on OpenBSD.
Excellent! I am really grateful because you are sharing your experience! Suddenly, there is not good documentation about: “how to install I2P in OpenBSD”.
Quote:
You should note that I don't use I2P on daily basis, so I don't have much experience.
Well, I do. Don't worry Thanks!

Hey, jggimi! Thanks for the details, I did know about the command, but not about the "-h" section!

Maybe to put on FAQ something like: "You want to untar this file in the /usr directory, which will create /usr/ports and all the directories under it. For example:

# cd /usr
# tar xzf /tmp/ports.tar.gz
"

... is not a good recommendation, because it is not a really spacious place for that

But is OK! I can change the ports place

I will share my notices with you sun! There you will know if I finally get it!

Last edited by Nureo; 18th July 2016 at 10:08 AM.