View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd October 2017
parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
The key sequence ctrl-alt-backspace should kill the X server, if the keyboard is still communicating. See Xorg(1).
That was the problem though, the keyboard was no longer communicating.

Quote:
cynwulf>>--snip--you could have tried re-running the upgrade process from installation media or assuming you were upgrading via the ramdisk kernel (bsd.rd) from 6.2-release and could get to the loader prompt, boot to the ramdisk kernel and try again.
Yes, actually I did try both, at first " upgrading via the ramdisk kernel (bsd.rd) " and
it turned out I needed to have the sets as well, I could not get a internet connection, at that point, so that is when I decided to download the iso and make a boot cd, that also had the sets on it. I guess I could have downloaded the sets and put them on the drive,
in fact that is what I started to do, but it seemed it was easier just to download the installation iso, in 1 shot.
But any way, after all said and done, the performance improvement with the amd64 is
great, very noticeable. So I should have just done that to start with, and I would have saved a whole bunch of time.
Wife is calling me to breakfast, so have to stop here.
thanks on the responses.