View Single Post
Old 23rd August 2008
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephemera View Post
I completely agree with that.
I'll add a third voice to that. what's happening here is we are getting a lot of folks from the Linux camp who just barely discovered Linux coming to *BSD thinking it's just another OS that wants to be all things to all people. IMHO it isn't . It's a server OS and a damn good one, in fact in my opinion the best you can get without getting proprietory. It's not intended to be a desktop OS although some people so a pretty good job of making it one just like some people make Windows an OK server OS

Personally, I don't have one *BSD box that has X even loaded. I don't care about flash or Open Source graphics drivers. I care about whether my web site will scale to 100 million hits per month or that I don't need to reboot to install most anything other than kernel updates. I care that I won't be hacked every 5 minutes because there is a billion lines of code in the OS that no one knows what they do.

People coming here from Linux should understand that some of us think of Linux as they think of Windows. Every time I load Linux and open top I am reminded how bloated and complex it has become. *BSD is simple, small, and elegant.

With regard to the virtualization, that is one feature I sorely need. ESXi does not run on a lot of hardware - NEW hardware. I just built a dual quad core server that will not run ESXi so I have no choice but to run Vnware server on Linux. I'm not happy about it, but it's the best I can do at the moment.

-Tim