View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th June 2018
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibara View Post
And let's not forget a lot of big companies pay a lot of money to host private repositories on GitHub--now under Microsoft's ownership the "risk" of using GitHub for those companies may decrease
It depends whether these companies are partners of Microsoft or competitors, I guess.

I still do think there is conflict of interest between Microsoft and open-source, although it is smaller than ever.

Why they acquired GitHub? Microsoft has quite good and popular programming language: C#. They have compiler and rest of toolchain for that language. They have .net framework and .net core frameworks for building desktop and web apps. They have popular and good IDE: Visual Studio. It completes their modern development ecosystem.
Quote:
Developers, Developers, Developers
That's from one more optimistic point of view.
From other, more pessimistic, point of view they have increased influence on FOSS ecosystem through being a member of Linux Foundation and buying GitHub. Just these two things give them a lot of power. I hope they will not use that to sabotage FOSS, but who knows?

Good thing is that GitHub has competitors such as Bitbucket and GitLab. I personaly have account on Bitbucket and recently a few big name open-source projects such as Gimp migrated to GitLab.