View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th October 2008
Arp Constable

I honestly don't know what the current status is on quantum computing, but I do know this. If I am lucky, within my life time I might see 32-bit systems become like 16-bit ones are today among computer users. With how far away that will probably be, assuming I even have kids - maybe my great great grand kids will see quantum computers make the same headway that 64-bit systems are making now.

64-bit capable systems are everywhere, but at home how many copies of Windows XP/VISA do you see running x86-64 on store shelves? One of my friends threw out the 64-bit version of WinXP and Ubuntu some time ago, they just couldn't bare his gaming rig. I can just imagine what horror the change over to quantum computers will bring users, even NetBSD might take sometime to reach that level of portability, let along most peoples everyday software lol.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.