View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd October 2009
New User

Default OpenBSD 4.6/4.5, Kaffeine and audio

I ran into this issue beginning with 4.5, which made me revert back to 4.4. Now I have installed 4.6 and still have the same issue, which is that Kaffeine will produce only static audio for some files. FLV files work, as do some WMVs. AVIs seem to always be broken. I tried installing the Win32 codecs which made no difference. One difference I noticed is that the version of Kaffeine from the 4.4 packages does not use 'sndio' as the audio output, while Kaffeine from 4.5 and 4.6 do.

Upon starting Kaffeine from a terminal, I get the following messages:
Code:
kio (KMimeType): WARNING: KServiceType::offers : servicetype ThumbCreator not found
kio (KMimeType): WARNING: KServiceType::offers : servicetype ThumbCreator not found
When opening an AVI file (350 MB file of a TV episode), I get:
Code:
[mpeg4 @ 0x21515580]header damaged
No messages when playing a "broken" WMV file.

CPU usage is around 50-80%, normal for my 450 MHz Pentium III when playing video files. I tried installing OpenBSD 4.5 in VMWare on a 1.8 GHz Core2Duo laptop, which had the same issues with static. I also tried a few other media players - VLC and MPlayer do have sound, but sound gets progressively more unsynchronised in VLC and video does not show in MPlayer. Totem pegs the CPU at 100% and does not play anything.