View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd March 2013
Arp Constable

@backrow

Thank you. The OpenBSD porters handbook assumes alot more background than I have.

I jumped in as I learn best by trying to do. In this instance, I had a window open to the handbook and another window actually going through the steps. That worked well until I had annotate the various dependencies in the Makefile.

I also tried looking as recent port commits to see the syntax also the same port in FreeBSD. Needless to say, my port was sloppy. Antoine Jacoutot was nice enough to help and his edits are clean and more concise. I had a busy post-install section that was shuffling some of the files to the standard OpenBSD folders and Antoine just set some build flags. It looks like I need to do more reading and if anyone has any additional recommended reading, beyond the ports handbook, please post them. It would also be a great howto project on how to make a port the OpenBSD way.

I am now trying to test the port on my current machines but my packages are out of synch. I have been running current with binary upgrades and installed the latest ports.tar.gz from snapshots. Unfortunately no new snapshot packages have been built for close to a month. 5.3 is anticipated in about 10 days