Thread: KVM issues
View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd June 2008
Port Guard

Default KVM issues

I have a FreeBSD 7 box using a USB KVM - because all the other servers I have don't have PS/2 ports. This KVM operates as a hub. It is causing several problems.
- keyboard is often not available at the boot screen
- keyboard and mouse are sometimes not available when the system is fully booted ( I can see the KVM light is flashing indicating the KVM has not been fully detected. I must select another machine on the KVM and flip back, wait a minute and keep trying until the hub is detected). Really annoying.
- keyboard and mouse randomly stop working. Occaisonaly there is a message on screen about hub disconnecting. I must do as above - switching to restore. Sometimes there is a message about 'hub stall'
- keyboard and mouse work sporadically in Xfce (X). Mouse appears to not work properly at all. Clicking doesn't work often. I sometimes need to use Alt+F to get a menu up, and then the mouse works. Right clicking the mouse will cause the popup to appear nowhere near where the mouse is.

Don't know if its my KVM - it is a low end one - or FreeBSD. This KVM causes no issue with my other servers (CentOS and Windows Server). FreeBSD also causes display problems..but I can live with that. I can't be constantly unplugging and pluging in the PS/2 keyboard & mouse whenever I need to administer the server.

Any idead where to look.