View Single Post
Old 9th November 2014
Ghost in the Shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryfirelord
Don't use OpenBSD because you don't want to use Linux. Use OpenBSD because you want to use OpenBSD.
I use OpenBSD because I prefer a simple UNIX system : the quality documentation and security features are just icing on the cake. I used to like NetBSD better because it was simple, too, and it seemed more flexible and pkgsrc spanks ports IMHO but NetBSD has stumbled into obsolesence IMHO so now I prefer OpenBSD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryfirelord
I've always used my kindle as a USB storage device, so I never needed the USB support in calibre. But if you're having metadata problems, it might be worth poking around some message boards and see if others have found solutions to the problem. This sounds like a calibre bug or Kobo's database isn't refreshing properly.
I wrongly anticipated that I would have a problem because managing my old Sony Ereaders with Calibre metadata was much more pleasurable than not having it loaded, on the device, but with the Kobo it doesn't matter the kobo is more intelligent at managing books just put onto it as a generic USB storage device. Anyway, I recommend the Kobo Aura HD or Kobo Aura HD H20 to OpenBSD users over the other Ereaders, because it is very OS agnostic (only the setup is less agnostic as one can use the computer software which runs on windows and mac but one could instead set it up wirelessly without a need for the windows or mac software). Also, it is higher- end hardware and supports more ebook formats than the kindle e.g. the most important one being the ubiquitous epub format.

Last edited by Angevin; 9th November 2014 at 08:30 AM.