Thread: Unix Popularity
View Single Post
Old 7th July 2008
Arp Constable

For me, as far as the entire operating system "crashing" goes. Windows XP and FreeBSD have only screwed me over hardware issues.

Windows XP -- when pissing on my drivers and my 'abusive' multitasking habits causing interesting side effects when combined.

FreeBSD -- only on crappy hardware with even crappier hardware support.

Various elements of "Windows" although not usually bringing the entire system down, have occasionally had stability or even GOD awfully stupid behaviors... It's my firm believe that user level software should NEVER be able to crash a system, render it inoperable, or require a reboot to fix.

But on Windows, most things may as well be considered "part of the OS" by nature and marketing. So I count them against it's stability as an integrated system.

OpenBSD, at least hasn't screwed me yet. The machine runs like a well oiled swiss clock from power outage to power outage ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
Many people treat their computer like the TV and an Xbox and it isn't anything else to them.
Still more reasons not to use Internet Explorer
Heh, she still uses IE6 and 'hates' the additional toolbars added by the last update to her anti-virus program. She also has the software multi-tasking / multi-window abilities of MS-DOSes COMMAND.COM ;-)

Me, I ain't used IE beyond the "on need" basis since the Firefox 1.0.x days, although I rarely use Firefox since the 2.0 release, we've had a long relationship as far as the many browsers and I go.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.