View Single Post
Old 1st June 2011
Arp Constable

Vetus, It appears to me that you have put alot of effort into this but speaking for myself, I do not understand the rationale to having super home pc running a gazillion operating systems. As you are starting to find out (and was mentioned in earlier posts) both PC-BSD and Mint run Gimp and Abiword. For that matter Gimp and Abiword run on WinXP

You also will have an extremely complex boot scheme (grub, grub2, lilo or freebsd bootloader in PC-BSD) that will cause you significant headaches. My advice (you can take or leave it) is to set up a system that you use to work and a second one to try out different OS's. You will break something at sometime - hopefully it will not be on the system that has data that you value. The second one will also give you an opportunity to setup a home network, network printer, network storage, music server etc. The second one can be very cheap and does not need to be running "overkill on processor and ram"

Anotherl point, when you generate document say using Mint/Abword it would be nice to be able to manipulate it in WinXP MS Office. In my opinion OpenOffice/LibreOffice documents are more compatible with MS office. Both Mint/PC-BSD will have OpenOffice or it's fork Libreoffice

Lastly, very few individuals in these forum use PC-BSD. The forum regulars are much more likely to use FreeBSD as a minimal install and then add only the applications that they intend to run on that particular machine - ie "keep it simple s****" You might want to see if the PC-BSD forums will give you a specific video card to use but be aware the key is actually the chip set that the card uses.

Last edited by shep; 1st June 2011 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Added Open Office/ Libreoffice