View Single Post
Old 5th August 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatux View Post
Did you install it on a non-Mac? If so, how did you manage that?
Like Carpetsmoker said I used hackintosh, to be precise KALAWAY 10.5.2 INTEL ISO.

You will find a lot of input here: http://wiki.osx86project.org

Compatibility lists, what hardware works and so.

Generally I put Mac OS X CD, created partition for Mac in Mac installer, then hit install, reboot, done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatux View Post
MacPorts is a nice package manager, but it does contain a limited amount of ports. The common applications are there, and those install and run very nicely, but if you need something that's not in the tree, then you will have to go through several hoops to have it run on Mac OS X. MacPorts integrates very well with OS X as well. The applications that are available via MacPorts natively are installed as .apps.
Thanks for input abput MacPorts, when I get OSX next time, MacPorts will be there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
It's called OSx86, basically, it's a hack for x86 OSX to allow it to run on regular PC's.
My personal experience with it involves kernel panics, kernel panics, more kernel panics, and then some.
I used KALAWAY 10.5.2 INTEL ISO on Intel Q6600 + Intel 965G (Asus P5B-VM) + 2GB RAM + SATA DVDRW + SATA HDD, I used it for about 3 weeks, and I got only one reboot, no other stability issues, sound played beatifully, everything worked out of the box, only Intel X3000 is not supported at this time, but that was not a problem.

Mac computer is currently nothing more then x86 Intel based box with s/BIOS/EFI nothing more.

There is also project called EFI-X: http://www.efi-x.com/index.php?language=english which allows ou to run unmodified Mac OS X on x86/amd64 but I did not have time to try that.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd