View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th January 2013
Arp Constable

Jggimi;

Thanks for stepping in, I am just getting my feet wet with the misc@openbsd.org mailing lists. I usually try to come here first for problems.

I spent a good 5 hours trying to update the bios on my board, which I thought I should do before going further. There were 3 options to update the bios and the easy one to use a thumb drive (F12 during POST) did not work. I then tried to put an old floppy drive which the bios did not seem to recognize - the bios upgrade utility would not find the floppy. The floppy was not recognized by OpenBSD either. I then cleared the cmos - the thumb drive flash utility still would not come up and the floppy (I tried 3 different floppy drives and 2 cables) would not be recognized by the bios. I then found the FAQ(8) to ukc the floppy if not recognized by the kernel but given that the bios could not find it I called it a day.

I also booted the 5.2 install disk and it also had the mem conflict message - I can't believe that I had missed the error all these months. With all the trouble with the bios and floppy drive recognition I'm beginning to wonder if either the memory or mobo is going south.